Soggy End to Sensational Week!
Rainout Sends Hawks & Owls Flying Away
A torrential downpour forced the Riverhawks and Nightowls from the nest commonly known as RE/MAX Field. The Retro Father's Day Game was set to be the rubber match, after Edmonton hammered Nanaimo Friday night before the Islanders returned the favour the next night. The make up game is tentatively planned for next Saturday, June 24, when the Hawks fly to the island.
The Hawks are on the road for six games before returning for a six game home stand which will start Tuesday, June 27, and will include a Delayed Dad's Day Game presented by RE/MAX.
The rainout was the only damp spot on a wonderful opening week. Highlights included:
- "Home Opener presented by Global TV" featured 8 incredible Indigenous Dancers and a game ball delivery by J.J. 's Noskimak Indian Relay Team. It was amazing to watch the "Little Braves" ride those horses across the outfield!
- "School Spirt & Mascot Mania" saw the stands filled with almost 8-thousand students and their teachers. They were kept entertained by more than a dozen mascots and Frisbee Rob and Sailor the Dog.
- Not to be outdone, "Celebrate Ukraine with 840 CFCW Country Music Legend" saw about 30 members from the dance group Vohon bring the house down with an incredible performance, which was complemented by music and crafts from the Alberta Ukrainian Council for the Ukrainian Arts and displays by groups such as the Free Store for Ukrainian Newcomers.
- Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry came to the rescue. They flew in on a helicopter when we "Saluted the Military with K-97 Classic Rock." Four fully armed paratroopers rappelled down to deliver the game ball. Members of the forces - both active and retired - helped the rest of the night come alive. The 25 member military band was fantastic! A rain delay made for a magical moment as kids streamed onto the field to run the bases in the rain. It was the debut for the Talus Balls, who crushed Nanaimo 8-1! Just to make for the perfect night, everyone enjoyed a post game party with DJ Diamond and a spectacular light show from Uncle John's Fireworks. Oh, what a night!
- Saturday "Strike Out Hate with MacEwan University" saw the 40-member strong Dance Theme Academy launch the game with an unbelievable performance. The Riverhawks looked sharp in rainbow pinstriped jerseys but their performance on the field didn't match the look, as the lost big to the NightOwls. At least some good came out of it as the jerseys were auctioned with proceeds going to Pride Tape and MacEwan Centre for Sexual and Gender Diversity.
We'll see everyone back at the ballpark during the games starting June 27. Stay tuned for the details on all the theme games that week!!